The perfect addition to any English garden party! A custard cream!
Follow our recipe below and use with our Afternoon Tea Mould to create your own custard creams!
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 6 – 9 minutes
For the biscuits:
- 225 g soft butter
- 115 g sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla flavouring if you don’t have extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- 340 g plain flour sieved
- 125 g instant custard powder
For the filling:
- 300 g icing sugar
- 150 g softened butter
- 2 tbsp instant custard powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract again use vanilla flavouring if you don’t have extract
- Cream together the butter and sugar until they are fully mixed together.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and milk.
- Add the sieved flour and custard powder.
- Mix this all together until the ingredients produce a smooth dough.
- Flatten the dough and wrap it in cling film. Place into your fridge for about 20 mins to firm up – this makes it easier to mould the biscuits.
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4, 180ºC, fan 160ºC.
- Dust the mould with cornflour and tap out the excess. Press small pieces of dough – approximately 10g, into the mould. Remove and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven and check regularly on them as they can burn quickly. You want them to be a light golden brown – this should take between six and nine minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove the biscuits from the baking tray and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst the biscuits are cooling, you can make the filling.
- Cream together the icing sugar, butter, custard powder and vanilla extract until smooth. Once the biscuits are cool, spoon a teaspoon of the filling onto a slice of biscuit and then top with another biscuit slice.
- Repeat until all your biscuits are filled full of custardy tasting deliciousness and then serve. Keep the biscuits in an air-tight container, as they will go soft if you don’t, and they should keep for a few days.